Saturday, May 12, 2012

Top Four Ways to make a story Unreadable


Hello all, is the "Authonomy Reviewer". No, I’m not officially affiliated, but that would be great, wouldn’t it? Some of you may have already seen that I am starting to do full reviews and you may be wondering, “Say, how do I get someone to do a full review of my work?”. Sure couldn’t hurt right? Well first thing’s first you have to demonstrate a go get em’ attitude but beyond that, you need a manuscript that can cut the mustard.

These are four things that when going over your manuscripts no one should ignore. I put them in order from easiest to correct to hardest. Also by coincidence ordered from what will get your book closed in frustration the fastest, to what COULD get it read, but still will keep anyone from remembering what happened beyond finishing.

  • 1. Bad Grammar:
PROOFREAD! Oh my goodness so many mistakes are made here. And once you make enough of them, readers will have a hard time getting past chapter one. The fastest way to catch errors yourself is to read your story aloud, especially after each rewrite. Essentially once you turn in your manuscript for public consumption, you should be so sick of reading it over and over you almost don’t like it anymore. (ALMOST of course, it is your story, so doubtful you will ever personally be sick of it right?)

I’ll do a quick rundown of what to look for while correcting your manuscript. These are not the only mistakes one can make, but they for some reason are the most common.

What to look for:
    • Missing words:
Believe it or not, this is one of the most common errors I see. Miss enough words and it’s anyone guess what you were trying to say. The quickest way to catch this is to simply read your story aloud. I’ll say that again in all caps so no one misses it, READ YOUR STORY ALOUD! I am constantly reading my stories aloud for this very reason of missing words.
    •  Bad paragraph separations for speakers:
This is the easiest to understand and most rigid of all rules involving paragraphs. If a different person is speaking, they get a different paragraph. That’s it. Kids understand this one. So why is it so many adults want to write full conversations between their characters, as a single solid block of text? 

If I don’t know who’s talking, I can’t understand the conversation I’m reading, end of sentence. Most of the time I see this problem, it’s not a mistake, it’s done on purpose and consistently. You are NOT being clever by having two people talk in the same paragraph and you have not found an exception to the rule. Yes, I understand in writing sometimes breaking the rules is called for. This is one of those rules that you should NEVER break. It’s like suddenly deciding that you’re going to spell the word “five” with an “o” instead of an “I”. “Fove” will never be correct, it is not an exception and it will never make sense. I find that most of the time when I see this paragraph separations mistake, if I point it out, the author says I’m being a grammar Nazi. No, I’m not, I’m just saying your story is unreadable.
    • Not properly ending sentences:
Always be on the lookout for a sentence that you didn’t properly finish or start. Remember, always end your quotes, use periods and capitalize:

“I like ponies!” Janice said. She then turned to me.
Not
“I like ponies Janice said she then turned to me.

This is another one that is actually easily caught by reading your story out loud. “How?” you ask? Forcing yourself to read aloud slows down your reading rate. You wrote the story so you know what it’s supposed to say before it says it. Reading a page aloud helps you hear and SEE what is actually on it as opposed to what you know SHOULD be.

Again, look out for missing quotes, periods, exclamation points etc, etc. We may be able to figure out what you meant at times anyway, but it’s a glaring and very distracting mistake.
    • Mega run-on sentences:
Generally speaking, it is correct to assume most folks won’t notice if your sentence went on five more words than necessary. However when it encompasses an entire paragraph, they will. This is another error I’ve seen people insist was correct in THEIR case. If you have managed to write a sentence that goes on for eight lines on a page with one inch margins, then I guarantee that, no, you have not found the exception to the rule. A good rule of thumb using modern computers is this; if your sentence manages to go much further than three lines, it’s probably too long. If it’s too long, shorten it, don’t justify it.
    • Similar words:
This is very hard not to to. It’s like every tome I try to wrote a sentence, I manage to write at least won wrong word. Again, this is usually fixed by just reading your story aloud to yourself.
    • What about those commas, semi-colons, paragraphs that aren’t properly structured, misuse of one of the forms of the word “to”?:
NO ONE CARES! Commas are for making a break in a sentence. Throw them in where they sound appropriate when you read the sentence aloud. Most of the time you’ll be right and if you’re not, most folks won’t notice. As far as semi colons goes, no one really knows how to use them, so they won’t pick on the fact that you missed one or two. As to proper paragraph structure, again, most folks aren’t that savvy on them anyway, just don’t have one paragraph that takes over half a page and usually you should be fine. Yes, the elementary principles you caught on to in grade school are the ones most folks remember and the ones that will kill your story. The ones you never could get, most other folks never got either, don’t worry about it!
  
  • 2. Bad Direction:
This one is much harder to catch. Does scene A, really lead to scene B? By the time I’ve gotten to scene B, will I have understood the basics of what just happened? How do you catch this problem yourself… you really can’t. Your own story will always make perfect sense to you. This is where you have to run your stories by another person. Generally speaking, bad direction isn’t a huge problem in short stories, but in novels it’s a big one. Good rule of thumb though, if a scene doesn’t go on for longer than a page by itself, it generally doesn’t need to be there and will just cause confusion. 

While bad direction is something that is not inherently difficult for another person to catch, it’s nearly impossible for the writer himself. This is a job for writing workshops like Critters that allow you to analyze stories one chapter at a time, or even just a read from a friend. Don’t debate if a scene makes sense to someone, generally speaking, the other person is right. Exceptions are of course, if someone refuses to read chapter one and says two doesn’t make sense, or tells you things must be written exactly as they say or they just won’t work. Of course they’re most likely wrong in that case. However if what they say is they don’t understand, they’re right, they don’t and it’s your job to figure out how to fix that.

  • 3. “Historical” writing:
That’s right folks, your story about a five hundred ton robot ripping through the earth in a single night and ending life as we know it, is boring! Why is it boring? Because you told it like a news reporter. 

This is the principal of writing in scene. Most writing professors get out a giant thesaurus and go over specific word usage at this point. Scrap that. What you need to do is give us the play by play. Don’t write that a fight “happened”, tell us EXACTLY how it happened. Tell us each blow as it comes crashing onto another person’s head. Tell us about the blood flying out of every severed limb as it comes painfully off. Tell us about the new widow screaming into the dust, begging to see her husband again. Draw it out and let us see the action. Notice how just speaking like that made you wonder if I was about to tell an amazing story just there? That’s how you need to write folks. As much as possible DO let us see your entire action scene, DO let us see multiple warriors going at it and yes, DO let us see pieces of the affair the terrible husband in your story had on his loving faithful wife. The depth of what just happened will sink in so much further if we feel like we’ve actually seen it. Our anger will be greater and our cheering all the louder.

Watch this:
__________________________________________
I entered the house and saw him, Jack Corn, the ghost of Toonvale. He was hideous and terrifying, but I wasn’t scared. He attacked me and we battled for a few moments, however in the end, I was finally able to prevail using a fire extinguisher. He’ll know better than to mess with George Crain, Phantom Hunter again, I tell you what!

Vs. this:

I walked through the house moving slowly down a long hallway. Dust and fog began to slowly billow out of the doors around me. Behind me a door flew open slamming into the wall. I spun around and there he stood. Slime poured off his figure, drenching the floor in his thick purple ooze. On his head were three horns, each twisted out. In his mouth each of his teeth were actually serrated like he had two jaws full of steak knives. His body was transparent, save for his glowing red eyes, the falling slime and his jagged teeth. 

“So…” I said, “You know you really should get that looked at… what was your name again?”

“Jack Corn, Ghost of Toonvale. You have come to my realm and now you will join my army of undead warriors. Pray to whatever god you serve, for tonight, I dine on your blood!”

“Just one question. You’re gonna kill me right? And then you’ll raise me back up for your army right?” the ghost nodded, “Won’t I then just be the walking dead, not “undead”? Does the fact that I move when I’m dead really make me “undead”? I mean really, when you think about it-“ the ghost opened his mouth full of razors and flew at me as I ducked down. I ripped out my Smith and Wesson .45, rolling to my right and unloaded several rounds into the apparition.  The bullets ripped through the wall behind Jack, but did nothing to the ghost himself, just smacking through the goo falling off his body. He turned and flew at me again, this time managing to grab my left arm and drag me across the floor. He released my arm and I went flying, crashing into a wall several feet away, my hand slamming into a fire extinguisher. The ghost laughed at me.

That’s when it hit me. The ghost’s slime was not ethereal. It manifested physically.  The ghost opened his mouth again and roared as he came at me. I ripped the fire extinguisher off the wall and sprayed him, the slime on his body quickly forming an icy shell and forcing him to crash into the floor. I kept spraying until I finally was looking at a frozen ghost sickle. I then pulled out my .45 again. “Name’s George Crain, Phantom Hunter, remember the name if you ever come back again.” I fired, watching as the creature shattered like glass, flying over the floor of the formerly haunted house.
 __________________________________________ 

Yes, you can use that in your own story, why not?

Which story was longer? Which rendition was more fun to read anyway? Don’t tell us THAT something happened, let us experience it. Leave out words like “suddenly” that warn us something is going to happen and just write what happens as it happens in your mind’s eye. Yes, this makes scenes longer, but hey, you’re writing a novel right? Let it be long, and so let it be good!

What’s hard about this? If you’ve done it wrong, you have to rewrite your entire story, there is no way around it.


  • 4. Boring characters
Epic story up there right? Let’s see it again shall we, but a little different this time:

__________________________________________ 
I walked through the house moving slowly down a long hallway. Dust and fog began to slowly billow out of the doors around me. Behind me a door flew open slamming into the wall. I spun around and there he stood. Slime poured off his figure, drenching the floor in his thick purple ooze. On his head were three horns, each twisted out. In his mouth each of his teeth were actually serrated like he had two jaws full of steak knives. His body was transparent, save for his glowing red eyes, the falling slime and his jagged teeth. 

“Jack Corn,” I said,

“Yes that’s me, Ghost of Toonvale. You will join my undead.” 

“No I won’t!” I yelled back. The ghost opened his mouth full of razors and flew at me as I quickly ducked down. I quickly pulled out my Smith and Wesson .45, rolling to my right and unloaded several rounds into the apparition.  The bullets ripped through the wall behind Jack, but did nothing to the ghost himself, just smacking through the goo falling off his body. He turned and flew at me again, this time managing to grab my left arm and drag me across the floor. He released my arm and I went flying, crashing into a wall several feet away, my hand slamming into a fire extinguisher. 

That’s when I realized the ghost’s slime was not ethereal but physical.  The ghost flew at me again. I ripped the fire extinguisher off the wall and sprayed him, the slime on his body quickly forming an icy shell and forcing him to crash into the floor. I kept spraying until the ghost was fully frozen. I then pulled out my .45 again. I fired, watching as the creature shattered like glass, flying over the floor of the formerly haunted house.
__________________________________________ 

Something’s wrong huh? Where’s the cartoonishly over the top Jack? Where’s the cocky Phantom Hunter? It’s like half the fun of watching the fight was just sucked out right? Two generic people fought each other, in the end one got beaten and nothing of value was lost. It just happened. Insert any other two characters with any other given names or titles and the story would have read exactly the same. Sure the scene itself was still a spectacle, but just not the same right?

Even exaggerated personalities are better than no personalities at all! Who is this nut case that keeps telling people to rein in the personalities of their characters because they’re not “believable” or “relatable”? Guess what, a personality that is relatable and believable adds depth only if it still manages to engage us. Whereas over the top characters like Ash in Army of Darkness win out over generic “guys with guns” every time. Give your character’s personality!

What’s so hard about correcting this? No one wants to freaking listen. Your character is BORING and yes, it DOES matter. A fun or terrible character gives us something to remember beyond the scene, a blank character who just fills in the role designated to him and makes us forget the story after we close the book. This means your book can be read, but it can’t be remembered. And of course, this is very hard to catch, even for a reader who is in fact, not the writer. If someone reports to you that something is wrong with your story but they just can’t figure out what, 75% of the time that probably means your character personalities didn’t leave enough of an impression. Keep working on your character until you hear things like this,

“I couldn’t follow your story, but I did like Jack. Maybe you should work on…“

Jack must be a good character! After all, liking him meant more than picking apart your story, he’s gotta be good for that. I don’t know any real tricks for this besides something called “character driven stories”. This means the story doesn’t move forward without your characters making it. Let adventures be dictated entirely by character whims, allowing you to develop exactly how those whims work. Remember, if a character does not have a personal reason to actually want to or especially not want to go somewhere, he really shouldn’t go there. Motive, motive, motive. It’s the most important thing in a crime investigation and it’s one of the most important things in story writing ever. Give your character a motive! Motive is often the key to personality. Whether your character acts in a way that seems opposite his natural motive, or follows that motive determines who he must be as a person. 

Beyond that, for a REALLY memorable character, make him act outside the bounds of what is necessary for the story. Jack's cocky personality was not necessary to tell the story of him fighting the ghost, however it added to it. It took up space, but it was space well used. Not EVERY character in EVERY story you write can be like this, some folks just don't talk or act out that much and if they all do, it can make the narrative seem crowded. Use this technique mostly on main characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment